Monday 26 October 2015

The journey we all make alone


Mark 15 vv 33-34. "My God, My God, why have you deserted me?" 
Luke 23 vv 43-46 - the tearing of the Temple veil. 

Death, as the high point of our life.

The fears of death at night, when alone - our demons can come in the hours of darkness. 'Alone with none but thee, My God, I journey on my way.  What need I fear when thou art near, O King of Night and Day?" 

We are all united in the reality that we are all going to face our death some day. 
We are born alone, and we go out alone. 
The journey is individual. 
What are the key supports to which we will look for courage and strength? 

Our own cloud of witnesses, the loved ones gone before us who are ( in the beautiful New Testament term) saints of God. 
The alternating experience that many go through, the times of consolation and the times when the veil comes down and we are held by naked faith alone. 
At the heart of our living faith is our Risen Lord, 
"I am the Resurrection and the Life" 

Two passages of scripture - Romans 8 vv 31-39 - " Nothing can come between us and Christ"and John 6 vv 35-40 - "I am the Bread of Life" 

The link between these two readings is one word in common - Nothing - an absolute. "It is my Father's will that I should lose nothing of all that he has entrusted to me." 

We believe that our closing eyes will open to the Face of God 

 Psalm 17 - "As for me, in your justice, I shall see your face and I shall be filled when I awake with the sight of your glory"

No comments:

Post a Comment