Tuesday 27 October 2015

From a grateful heart



Luke 1 46-49 The Magnificat 

Thanking God for the blessings to come as well as blessings received - makes you far more attentive.

"If the only prayer we ever said in our life was Thank You, that would be enough" - Eckhart
 Iris Murdoch -" a saint is a person who is warmed and vitalised by a spirit of thanksgiving."
 "For everything in my life so far, thank you, and for everything still to come, Yes." 

For the gift of life - a most precious gift. Enjoying being alive, enjoying being me! With all my pluses and minuses, my light and shadow side, this is how you made me and I thank you for it. 
For the gift of faith - that we don't live in a blind and meaningless universe, we come from God and we return to God, in love. Faith is to see life whole, not just the little segment, life as part of God's loving plan.  
For the gift of my own vocation, whatever God called me to and however long it took me to work it out! The bright and dark side of what we are called to, which both plays to strength and seeks out weakness.
For Pope Francis - and how much our Church needed him. We needed energy and a fresh vision, and he has restored joy and mercy to the heart of the Church. He reminded us that we are not just a teaching Church, we are a learning Church. 
For both the celibate and the married life, both with their difficulties, and joy. 
For the gift of friendship - maybe impossible to live a fully human, fully spiritual life without friends. 
For Your abiding presence in my life, Lord. You often lie hidden and I don't know where You are but you are always faithful.
For the hard times and my mistakes, because I have learned from them.

I renew my desire tonight to live from a grateful heart and not a lamenting heart. 
Perhaps the one question God will ask us at the end of life is "Did you enjoy my creation?"

No comments:

Post a Comment